-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net]On
Behalf Of Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSRT
Sent: Friday, January 05, 2007 10:21 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: [CHAT] Happy New Year, a little belated

Happy New Year everyone! I see you were discussing seed catalogs during
the last couple weeks. I'm perusing a pile of them myself this week. I
still like printed catalogs best, although more and more companies are
going to web only. There's just something about flipping the pages.
Online I know what I'm looking for and I go right to it; in print I flip
through every page, so I see things I might not have thought of
otherwise. I need to get my act together and order my vegetable seed
soon; and I have a list of other things I want, of course. I think I am
going to buy a lot of heucheras this year; I have two or three vacant
spaces that have been bugging me and when I saw the page  with heucheras
in Bluestone's catalog I thought, ah-ha!
Our weather was pretty nice over the holidays, it did get quite windy
for a couple days, but mostly sunny. We did some work outside but (as
always) not as much as we should have. Every time I thought about leaf
raking it was either too windy or the dumpster was full - I wonder if my
timing was simply off or if I really didn't want to rake leaves? I
thought about pruning but it seemed too early.  My lemon tree in the
greenhouse seems pretty happy and I think - I think - I have managed to
pollinate quite a few blossoms into lemons. My fingers are crossed that
some of them will stay on the tree and no critters bite them off when it
gets moved outside.
Over the last year I've lost more plants in my dry garden than I like. A
big penstemon - I think it was the Rocky Mountain penstemon, huge spikes
of brilliant blue/purple flowers - died in late summer, maybe from the
heat. Two lavenders, both of them good size, also keeled over around
that same time. My opuntia started looking really unhappy after we had
that very cold spell in December; I don't think it was meant for temps
in the low teens. But I think it can recover. While husband was taking
down the christmas lights he brushed up against a big Texas Ranger which
promptly fell over. Gophers had eaten through every root. This was not a
small plant! The gophers are a real plague in there, either I need to
start making wire baskets for root protection (what a pain) or I need to
limit myself to stuff they haven't attacked. They love agaves and the
hesperaloe but so far seem to leave the salvias alone.
Over the holiday week we went riding several times; in the hills around
my sister's house, around our neighborhood, and at a little trail a few
miles from our house. We're all getting more experience. We bought
another horse trailer as our antique one wasn't big enough for two
horses plus gear, and we're going to get a used camper for trips this
summer. I am not sure how I'm going to work all this in and garden too,
especially since I want to do more preserving, but we'll see how it