Re: Florida gala

Yep. This one: http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/64130/

On Jan 6, 2007, at 6:36 PM, Zemuly Sanders wrote:

I'm glad you all had a good time. Too bad I didn't know you were stranded in Memphis for 2 hours. I could have come to the airport to meet you, but that would have entailed your having to endure the security here. I'm sure Jim will tell you the correct name of the trees you saw. Your description sounds like orchid trees to me. They are very beautiful.
zone 7
West TN
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Saturday, January 06, 2007 3:32 PM
Subject: [CHAT] Florida gala

As I reported before leaving, my GD Nadia & I flew to Orlando for the Capitol One Bowl Game where she participated in the half time performance. We also spent a day at MGM which was her pick over Magic Kingdom or Epcot as she had spent time at both of those sites on previous visits. We were at Universal Cities Universal Studio New Years Eve. US area was not as crowded as I expected how ever the route in and out thru the City Walk was at 'shuffle' pace. I didn't think the game was well attended or least unlike other bowl games I have gone to. The weather was fabulous however we were rained out early evening at MGM. Our flights were not as pleasant. We were scheduled to arrive in Orlando at 4:30 PM but did not make it until 11:30 due to a 2 hr delay leaving
Des Moines & then missing our connecting flight in Memphis.   Homeland
Security had increased safety alert to a level orange. We had heard by TV that Orlando airport had the capability of checking shoes without removing them however
if they had the equipment they were not using it.
Question for you, Jim. At Universal Cities I saw several trees of a species which I did not recognize. It was multi stemmed, short in height, the leaves were somewhat like a redbud but larger and had beautiful orchid like blooms that were dark rosy purple without fragrance. Have an idea what it is?
    The areas we visited were spotless.
Coming home we flew from Orlando to Minneapolis and home to Des Moines.
Minneapolis was snow covered but very lightly.   When we departed from
Minneapolis our loaded plane taxied out on the run way & appeared to be in position to take off when the pilot announced we needed to return due to inbalance of weight. Nadia thought they said the nose was to heavy & I thought they said the rear was to heavy but whichever, we taxied back & it was corrected. We have a couple of friends who are NW pilots and when Nadia told grandpa about it he quickly ask if Steve (who is a big guy & a bit over weight) was the pilot. I am not a frequent flier but had only heard of overweight problems. I also wondered why the problem was not noticed before leaving the terminal.
    Happy New Year to you all!

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.1 N, 82.4 W