Re: what's for breakfast?

Hi Kitty-
Sounds like the high protein/low carb advise is carryover from one the various diet theory for low carbs in general. The advise you read is not consistent with most medical recommendations and research. That said, I also know different people's body's respond to different foods in different ways. What works for some doesn't for others. I definitely wouldn't eat sausage/bacon every AM though, you might not gain too much weight because you'll have a stroke or heart attack first!!

Theresa

Kitty wrote:
I know this is a gardening forum, but since many of us seem to be a little concerned about our weight I wanted to share these gleanings from the morning paper with you.

The Parade magazine gave a formula for Body Mass Index which says I should weigh somewhere between 98 and 132 pounds. A lot of latitude there, but I'm higher than that so I'm going back to putting more effort into the diet.

The surprising thing I came across was in the Cook Well, Eat Well column:

"Eat a high-protein, low-carbohydrate breakfast every single day. If you have to pick just one habit, this is it. Clinical studies show that the blood-sugar effect of breakfast has a dramatic affect on appetite all day long. [I knew that and always eat breakfast] Subjects who ate instant oatmeal for breakfast ate a whopping 81 percent more during the day than subjects who ate a cheese omelet, even though the breakfasts had the same calorie count. So ditch the cereal, bagels, muffins, and juice and have some protein, plus a piece of fruit. You'll be less hungry and more energetic all day."

I have cereal every day for breakfast and I don't eat meat until I get home at night. If this is true, perhaps I should reverse it. I'm thinking of trying meat or cheese and fruit or yogurt (contains both the protein and fruit) for breakfast and maybe having my cereal for supper. Any thoughts on this?

Kitty
neIN, Zone 5