Re: Avocados

Ms Fatma said I should've chopped some onion in it; maybe next time, maybe not [why mess with success]. The secret, I think, is the lemon juice. It kept the avocado from darkening and gave it a nice fresh, clean flavor when it thawed. The containers we used are those 1-cup Glad or Ziplock [forget which] containers. They're nice because they can be stacked quite high in the freezer. They're also good for lemon or lime juice, pesto, &c.

On Jan 12, 2007, at 11:07 AM, Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSRT wrote:

Very nice. I may have to try it if I ever have an excess of avocados.
Actually, maybe I'll buy an extra bag of them at Costco and try it
anyway, just in case I need guacamole in a hurry one day.

Cyndi

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of james singer
Sent: Thursday, January 11, 2007 2:58 PM
To: Garden Chat
Subject: [CHAT] Avocados

Back in September, I said I was going to freeze avocado puree. I did. I
added chopped jalapenos and lemon juice to it and froze it in 1-cup
containers. Cyndi, among others, said she wanted to know how it turned
out. I thawed the first cup this evening. Terrific. Tastes [and looks]
as good a fresh. We are dipping into it with pita.

We still have 4 cups frozen. If I remember, I'll defrost them, one by
one, between now and when the next crop becomes available [the tree is
budding up; in this strange weather, it will be blooming by mid February
and fruiting by late May].

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.1 N, 82.4 W