Icy cold

  • To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
  • Subject: Icy cold
  • From: "Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSRT" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 10:12:53 -0800

We had some cold weather for sure but I'm grateful it has not been
worse. I was looking at the news websites about what's happening back
east, whew.
Everyone was highly excited late last week when they said the snow level
would drop to 1000 feet. The part where they said there wasn't going to
be any moisture to make snow sort of got left out. It is dry and
freezing, my least favorite weather. Our overnight temperatures from
Thursday on have been in the single digits, we've broken a couple
records so far.
Saturday my sister and I went down to the Palm Springs area to visit
relatives. It couldn't have been more than 45 - 50 degrees there. My
husband said it didn't get above freezing all day at our house. When I
went out Sunday morning to go hiking it was maybe 15 degrees at 7:00. My
little pond froze over completely, never seen that before, and we are
having quite a bit of trouble getting water for all the livestock since
the hose bibs are all frozen too. Our backyard sprinklers did come on
Sunday night and so yesterday we were treated to an ice field on the
lawn. Most of it finally thawed out about 3:00 in the afternoon but not
all.
Talk about dry, I was out checking the horses yesterday, petting
everyone, and got shocked so many times from static electricity I
finally just left. Can't even touch my cats.
And the really embarrassing part...I got home from Palm Springs and was
watching the news, this was about 8 pm Sat night, and tsking to myself
about the cold. Suddenly it occurs to me - the greenhouse! I went
running out there and turned on the little floor heater, which is
usually good enough to handle the temps we get. Well...it all looked
okay at the time, but there was some damage. The variegated ficus is
probably not going to make it. Most of the impatiens froze, oh well. The
ornamental sweet potato died...eh, I'll buy another one. The
pelargoniums, not too bad. My lemon tree looks a little stressed but
mostly good, and it's the only thing in there I'd really be upset about
losing.
I did manage to order some seeds, about the only useful thing I did all
3 days. Pfui.

Cyndi