From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of james singer
Sent: Monday, January 29, 2007 9:23 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Pears

Have you considered the Asian [aka apple] pear? Different species [Pyrus
pyrifolia] from the various European common pears [P. commumis], but
grows in the same zone range--4b to 9a. It's also a better keeper and
more resistant to fire blight. Fruits of the "Korean" cultivar can get
as big as softballs. Very nice.

On Jan 29, 2007, at 11:27 AM, Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSRT wrote:

>  Can't decide if I want another peach or if I should try a pear tree,
> we've never grown one of those before.
>
> Cyndi

Island Jim
Southwest Florida