Re: Pears

I cut the whole fruit into 1/8s, scooped seeds and membranes from each section into the hopper and ground away--juice through the sieve, seeds and membrane out the end of the cone.

On Jan 29, 2007, at 4:39 PM, Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSRT wrote:

I have one of those...don't think the brand name is Squeezo, but it's
the same thing. I never thought of using it for the pomegranate seeds.
Did you separate the seeds out from the membrane first or just stuff the
whole thing in there?
I definitely am not going to do pistachios, but figs...hmmm...tempting.

Cyndi

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of james singer
Sent: Monday, January 29, 2007 1:13 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Pears

Back when I had a serious pomegranate tree, I bought a Squeezo [a fairly
expensive hand-crank juicer] to juice them. Made it very easy.
Squeezo's really a neat tool--easy to separate, say, tomato pulp and
juice from seeds and skin; I should take t out of hiding and use it
more.

If you can grow pistachios, that's a good idea--but I think you'll need
at least two trees. Not sure about that, however. Figs would also be
nice if you're not too cold for them. You can severely prune them even
to keep them more-or-less shrub like for many years. Come to think of
it, there used to be a commercial fig orchard in southern Maryland, a
cold and snowy place in winter.