Re: what to do?

I had seen this question before but without real experience, didn't want to comment.

  As a gardener, seems the most prize plantings are always the one that get hurt. (of course, I always live by Murphy's law)

My best luck has always been to move or change things very early in the
spring..... before they break dormancy. When everyone wakes up, in a new
place or a new condition, survival rate is the best... at least here.
(which has never stopped me from moving something in the heat of summer
on a whim)

I am not sure just how far this cherry tree vs the JM is, but it sounds
like you will be changing more than light around it. The temps of the
ground will be changing since the lamium won't be there. It might also
change the routing of water as well. Trees use allot of water too and
without the cherry tree it may lead to a too moist condition.

  All speculation on my part, so.....hopefully someone that really knows will reply.

  Donna

Kitty <kmrsy@comcast.net> wrote:
  I've got too much shade and I'm thinking of removing a Yoshino Cherry that I
planted too close to the house. This would, of course, ruin the Lamium
groundcover, but I can move that to another spot. What I'm really concerned
about is a Japanese Maple 'Orangeola' that's planted under it. It would
still have shady protection from a nearby Norway maple and redbud, but...
A couple of years ago I had a Viburnum that wasn't performing well due to
too much shade, so I moved it. When I did, the Syringa 'Jessie' next to it
died. Nothing to do with roots; it seemed as though taking out the vibe
changed its exposure, protection. Fortunately I had taken 2 cuttings from
the lilac before moving the vibe, and one little one is doing well.

I can't take cuttings of Orangeola, they aren't successful and, besides, it
has taken years for it to get to this substantial size. I am worried that
removing the cherry would alter the conditions and the precious maple would
croak. In the other example, the vibe survived. I moved it in fall. Do
you think it was the timing? Would 'O' stand a better chance if the cherry
comes out in spring?

Was it all coincidence? Am I stewing over nothing?

Kitty
neIN, Zone 5