To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Tuesday, January 08, 2008 7:42 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] invasives

No, I haven't, but I will ask the library to get it for me on inter-library loan.

While it is true that in many countries, plants have traveled freely, there are still many parts of the world that have been relatively (emphasize Relatively) free from intrusion. Some of these have extremely tight import restrictions and eradication programs today.

I hope that Ms. Baskins distinguishes between "native" and "naturalized." Some of our common weeds were brought here by the colonists for food or as medicinals. As such, they've been here for a long time. That doesn't mean that they're not changing, or even damaging, local ecology. Privet, one of our most expensive and damaging pests, was in this country by the mid-1800's . It was first noticed as a pest in 1950, and now is costing millions of dollars per year in removal costs. It severely damages the eco-system around woodland streams, and its removal is not only difficult, but wholesale removal leaves streambanks in danger of erosion, with severe sedimentation downstream.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not a "natives-only" nut, but I think we all need to be more aware of the potential for some plants to get out of control, and to educate ourselves about the habitats that can be damaged by our choices. I used to pooh-pooh the invasive plants lists until I discovered how plants travel, and that they're tied more to the site than the state.

I'm betting that Callery (Bradford-type) Pears and Crapemyrtles will be the next big pests in my part of the world. Chinese Hollies and Eleagnus are starting to pop up everywhere, too, in addition to the before-mentioned Nandinas and Mahonias. Duchesne and Japanese Bamboo Grass (Microstegium- not Bambusa) are also a threat. Buddleias weren't a problem until a couple of years ago. They're starting to spread, too. And then there's Ivy...

----- Original Message ----- From: "Andrea Hodges" <andreah@hargray.com>