Re: OT: name change

Well- this little topic certainly generated more interest than I expected, but it's been interesting all of the ideas/comments. Donna- be advised, if you want to change your name back it is more complicated than it used to be. I went first to the SS office, only to be told I need a legal form signed by a judge to change my name back. (This was despite having my birth certificate, divorce decree, original SS card with my maiden name, etc). This is all due to post-911 security stuff according to the SS people. So, I then went to the courthouse, got the document, filled it out, and handed it to them. The judge will sign it and mail it to me. The thing that cracks me up- is that I didn't have to show ANY identification or proof of my maiden name at all. I think I could have written any name I wanted as a maiden name? So much for their crack security in this country.

Theresa

Donna wrote:
When I got divorced many years ago, it wasn't that easy for a women to
get the credit level etc I was at. My lawyer advised me to keep that
name to avoid the hassel and most likely denial of stuff if I changed
it. He was a pretty smart lawyer, got me many benefits like pension,
profit sharing and other things no one even considered back then......
so I opted to listen to him.

Of course, that isn't the case anymore. Who knows someday I may switch it back..... but after all these years, doubt it. Donna
Aplfgcnys@aol.com wrote:
  Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I never minded taking my huband's last
name - after all he was paying the bills. However, I never have been
Mrs. C. S. I have always signed my own first name and initial. For
that matter, my grandmother always insisted on being Grace H. Jones,
not Mrs. W. W. , but she was a early career woman.
Nearly 40 years ago in my early Garden Club days I was scolded by an elderly woman for using my own first name. She declared she was proud to use her husband's name. I told her I wasn't ashamed of my husband, but when I won a blue ribbon for a design or piece of horticulture, I didn't see why he should get the credit - he had nothing to do with it.
Auralie