Green Giant Thuja

Jesse,
The man that was really promoting Green Giant Thuja is from Springfield Missouri. Maybe it would be worth a drive up since you are not too far from there. I would do some online looking for info first but might be worth it.
Tricia
PS:  I found this:

http://www.botanyshop.com/ABOUT%20US.htm

 BOTANY SHOP GARDEN CENTER
 710 Minnesota Ave.
 Joplin, Missouri 64801
 Toll free 1-888-855-3300    Fax 1-888-844-8198
 mailto: Info@botanyshop.com
| Green Giants | Green Giant Gallery | American Elms | Knockout Roses | | Endless Summer Hydrangea | More Trees & Shrubs | About Us | Links |

       ABOUT US     Jan. 2000

       History:
The Botany Shop, Inc. started in 1973 as a retail garden center, landscape and tree spraying business is located at 710 Minnesota Ave (MAP) in downtown Joplin Missouri just off Interstate Highway I-44 in SW Missouri between Springfield MO and Tulsa OK. In 1985 we started specializing in improved cultivars of red maples and other genetically superior trees and shrubs suitable to our area--Zone 6. In 1996 I went to the Southern Plant Conference and visited the NC State University Arboretum (Raleigh, NC). The now famous J.C. Raulston Arboretum. At that time I became aware of his Thuja Plicata Collection and was very impressed with the species (cultivars) and its ability to grow well and fast under adverse conditions. Due to the disease, insect, deer and other problems with our Pines, Spruces and Junipers, I was looking for substitute plants for screening and specimen evergreens. After visiting many botanical gardens and extensive literature reviews I am convinced Thuja Plicata, its cultivars and hybrids (Green Giant), will be very important plants for our future land

Mission Statement: January 2000

The Botany Shop is starting its E_Commerce, Mail-Order business with three of the most vigorous outstanding new ornamentals we have ever used.

1. Thuja Green Giant - a newly released screening evergreen from the US National Arboretum.

2. Autumn Blaze Maple - an outstanding, tough tree. Probably the most sought after maple in the U.S.

3. Honeycomb B. wyeriana - Butterfly Bush. (Summer Lilac) The best yellow we have ever used. Discovered and introduced by Dr. Michael Dirr. His book--Manual of Woody Landscape Plants--is the bible of the industry. This book is a must for any serious student of landscape plants.

       ********

As 0f July 24, 2000 we are adding several new USDA Acer Rubrum Red Maple varieties as well as some of the older, superior, Red Maple cultivars. Jan 2002 we have added smaller size USDA red maples.

Valley Forge American Elm will be added in January or February of 2001.

February 15 2002 we are adding 10 more superior varieties of butterfly bush and will start shipping May 1st A2002.

June 2003 we added the other two disease resistant American Elm trees, New Harmony and Princeton. We also added Knock OutT roses and many Pennsylvania Horticultural Society gold medal award winning plants.

In the Spring of 2004 we are adding three cold hardy, continuously flowering, Hydrangea Macrophylla and Pink Knock OutT roses.

       Michael F. Shade-owner

       Botany Shop Garden Center
       710 Minnesota Ave.
       Joplin, Missouri 64801

       Phone:  417-781-6431

       Questions or comments?
       mailto: Info@botanyshop.com

         Updated January 29th  2005

Copyright ) 2000 - 2005 Botany Shop, Inc. All rights reserved Established