Re: move St. John's wort?

Thank you Donna. I went out to look at it again today hoping that maybe it would have more than one main stem so I might try leaving part just in case I lost the part I moved. It only has one main stem but has the most beautiful peeling bark. I have looked around for this plant at nursery's for other people and never can find it. I love the yellow bloom and the shrub has good texture all year round. I think tomorrow I will dig the new spot so that it will be ready to move the plant right in as soon as I get time to dig it up. Tomorrow and Monday sound like pretty good days then we have a slight chance of snow on Wednesday.
Tricia
zone 6b

To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Saturday, January 12, 2008 5:49 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] move St. John's wort?

I couldn't find anything in my native plant books either..... since
propagation is by seed not roots....(although soft wood works too)

What would scare me about this is, it has been there for a long time,
natives usually have a long tap root that depends on it's survival. Of
course this is a shrub, not a wildflower, so......

 Donna

Kitty <kmrsy@comcast.net> wrote:
 Ya hafta laugh. I googled transplant Hypericum prolificum and found:
Transplant from container. (from U Conn)
which doesn't help if yours is in the ground.
And you can't inquire about St. Johns Wort + transplant because you get all
these medical things.

I tried H.p. culture, Hp moving. Didn't find much.
So I tried some books - Hilliers, AHS, etc. Nothing much. It seems to me
that, unless you can find something that specifically says it should be
transplanted at a certain time (Hydrangeas in fall) or that it resents
transplanting (tree peony), it's probably safe to move it with reasonable
care and any opportune time.

Kitty
neIN, Zone 5
----- Original Message ----- From: "Patricia"

Sent: Saturday, January 12, 2008 2:22 PM
Subject: [CHAT] move St. John's wort?

I have a shrub that is Hypericum prolificum or common name is shrubby St.
John's Wort. I have had it for at least 6+ years in the same location. I
am wanting to move it out away from the house some so that I can see it
better from inside the house. It is so beautiful and I don't want to lose
it. I have been waiting until it is fully dormant to move it. I did read
that it blooms on new growth and should be pruned in the early spring, but
I have never pruned it. I am thinking that if I move it now I can prune it
a little to compensate for the loss of some of the roots.
I wanted to ask any of you if you have any experience with this shrub?
Thank you for all your help all these years!
Tricia
zone 6b