Not too many d-t-d salespeople when it's 20 degrees out here....
Verizon heavily canvassed here last year, trying to convert everyone. I would see them going d-t-d in addition to the constant barrage of mail and tv ads. But they didn't usually get to me because my doorbell doesn't work :+) One guy finally confronted me in the driveway. We talked at length, but Verizon could in no way match what I get from Comcast. So he gave up. Then around Tgvg they sent a young girl here. Again, Verizon can't match what I get from Comcast. One difference in her spiel was that several times she mentioned that Comcast used copper wire which she said is nowhere near as good as what Verizon has. I explained that Ft Wayne's REA Wire is a large producer of the copper wire and I'd much rather keep a local manufacturer in business. Finally, she told me essentially that Comcast would be defunct in the coming year and then I'd be sorry because it would cost me twice as much to convert. (well, she said it more nicely than that, but that's the gist of it.)

neIN, Zone 5
To: "Garden Chat" <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Monday, January 14, 2008 6:34 PM
Subject: [CHAT] OTQ

Anybody else noticed this? We've had a big increase in door-to-door salesmen--from zero 6 months ago to two-three a day now. We've also had four Verizon salesmen in the last 5 day [not counting Sunday, of course] peddling their new FiOS [fiber-optic system] internet/cable channel/long distance hookup service. Since they tore up most of the front yards around here when they installed the fiber-optic cable, you'd think they would be smart enough to let the neighborhood ire quell before bragging about what they did. But since their cable competitor here is Comcast, it's become a tussle between dumb and dumber.

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.1 N, 82.4 W
Hardiness Zone 10