Why is it?

You know how Andy Rooney starts out his program with asking..."Why is it that....."
Well, WHY IS IT that every time somebody tells me "ohh be careful, this
plant is a self-seeder and will take over your garden", I can barely get
the thing to grow. (A few examples - Cleome, black-eyed susan,
yarrow...) In some areas I WANT the plant to take over and just go nuts.
And I'm doing good to get one stinking flower the next year. Well - this
spring I am starting MORE from seed, in my garage with a grow light, and
maybe I'll get more of them next year. The only place I have ever been
able to really, really GROW things...was in Kansas City. I could put a
stick in the ground and it would grow. I grew the BEST tomatoes there.
Haven't been able to grow them since. Tooey.