Re: seed lights

  • To: gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: seed lights
  • From: "Pam Evans" <gardenqueen@gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 09:15:58 -0600
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references; bh=3+UhBa0KNmR6RVw+97xpgSPesFDyJNYPg/TCnOj6vMg=; b=ZienaWRyYYdqXpZttjiOyJIF9coEzqWqICAjwXuuRexJnI40fZjvrpEnF61MyGwCkPkxsI8yVSNJRbG+XvFaMi+xyNQiDJWQikGLoyPcC1uesyWLuvzjae2o6ATG0wtbV5Qcr0xEE7dAmQSkHFQ8ueLUtjJygitkoTvVjQGhH9c=

Mine at work are about 2 feet from the lights.  That's enough to get the
seedlings up and going, when they are well sprouted (1st set of true leaves)
I take them home and get them under lights here so they don't get leggy.

> Pam mentioned in the past growing seeds at work.  I'd like to try that,
> take
> advantage of the free fluorescent lighting.  However the ceilings are
> high,
> so even putting the trays on top of shelving, they'd still be 2 or 3 ft
> from
> the lights.  At home I have always kept them about 4 inches from
> lights.  Do
> you think the industrial lights are stronger?  Should I find a way to
> bolster them higher?  Maybe on boxes to get them closer to the lights?
> Kitty
> neIN, Zone 5

Pam Evans
Kemp TX