Re: I'm back online!

I never ceased to be impressed with your abilities. I am still dragging hoses. Of course, I am renting so I refuse to put any money into a sprinkler system at this place. Glad you are back with us. It's cold here today for us-30 something. I took the dogs to the park and they loved it, where I thought my ears were going to fall off. However, since they are tuckered maybe I can get some homework done now. I just keep telling myself-last semester. On a cool note-I have ONE goldfinch that must have been left behind when they migrated through. I noticed him about 2 weeks ago at the suet feeder and thought huh, where did YOU come from? He's still here and his little breast feathers seem to get more yellow each day. I always forget how tiny they are. He zooms right into the feeder with the downy woodpeckers and red bellies. He's very cute and I love watching him. I suspect he'll go back north when it warms up but I hope to get to see him in full mating feathers before he leaves.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Theresa G." <macycat3@sbcglobal.net>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Monday, January 21, 2008 10:29 AM
Subject: [CHAT] I'm back online!

I finally have internet again! Spent the weekend doing projects, some painting, lots of messing with the sprinkler/water system. Long story.... Last summer I replaced the sprinkler valves with the anti-siphon valves (seemed like a good idea). Well, ever since the valves bang everytime they open and shift to the next one. I learned that this is called "water hammer" and can damage plumbing. So, got the little part to install on the main sprinkler line and all the parts to install it. Should have taken me about 30 minutes. Well, once I peeled all of the pipe insulation off that area, it became obvious that the sprinkler line off of the main water line was leaking and likely had been for quite a while. So little project turned into much bigger project, 2 extra trips to the hardware store, several bruises, sore muscles and hands, and about 4 hours I finally got it all fixed up. I have this fantasy that my water bill will be cheaper from now on (I hope). So for about 5 minute I thought that my sprinkler system was all fixed- and then I realized that one of the sprinker/bubbler heads was apparently broken off. That is my job to tackle today. It will be a pain as it is located between tree roots and this giant overgrown butterfly iris (which I really just want to dig out entirely).
On a positive note- my camellia has started to bloom : )