To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Sunday, January 27, 2008 4:18 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] MG agenda

Ha!

they like the whole week method cause then it would be hard to pin point
who didn't show up..... or gives options of too busy today, so the
others will be there anyways.

This world isn't what it used to be.... and it ain't gettin no better...
from what I see. Automation, no sense of work pride, and the list goes
on....

 Donna

Kitty <kmrsy@comcast.net> wrote:
I don't know. The fact is, I don't see this as a lot of work for anyone. I do the major time-consuming things with ordering, coordinating, making tags,
etc. The single biggest problem is maintenance. When these people heard
that they each needed to commit to 4 to 5 full weeks of daily watering
(about 45 min a day) they weren't thrilled. Me either. I'd rather we each
take one day a week, every week, but they prefered the whole week method.
And nearly half those weeks aren't really daily watering, but at the height
of the season it is a must. I'm planning on adding new spigot & hoses that
will make the job quicker & easier.

We'll see. I love doing this, but I can't do it with just 2 or 3 people.

Kitty
neIN, Zone 5
----- Original Message ----- From: "Donna"
Sent: Sunday, January 27, 2008 2:28 PM

Sounds to me that this will be the last year. Maybe you should bill it
as such now to the members. That way they can 'get off the pot' or not
be surpised when it doesn't happen next year.

If that doesn't inspire the group to help you- then make the 'last one'
the theme of this year to the public.

Donna

Kitty wrote:
I met yesterday with the newly ore-organized MG Nursery group yesterday.
We
have a total of 8 people down from 15 last year. 4 are existing members ,
4
are new. 1 existing (multiple crises at home) and 1 new ((Florida
snowbird)
did not attend.

It seems the 3 new members didn't realize they were signing up to work in
the nursery. The Hort educator insists on calling our group "Propagation",
which amounts to maybe 2% of what we do. I tried to put the best spin
possible on things indicating if they would commit to making the most of
our downsized nursery, then we could do more propagation work.

Of the 8, one helps us only in April. One won't show up until most of the
work is done, 2 live long distances from here. And no one wants to take on any heavy or time-consuming work. Still, I'm hopeful. My purpose for going
along with the downsizing was that I might be able to manage it more or
less
by myself. We'll see.

Kitty
neIN, Zone 5