Rain, rain...

  • To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
  • Subject: Rain, rain...
  • From: "Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSRT" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 08:15:34 -0800

We've had our fill of rain for the moment, I am now wishing it would dry
up for a month or so. We've had almost five inches of rain in the last
five days and that is a lot for here, and the ground never dried out
from the last set of storms. Our poor animals are standing in a swamp.
They have dry areas to lie down under their shelters but it's not
exactly roomy, to eat or drink they have to wade in puddles or sploosh
through six inches of muck.  The hot wire we have up to keep our dogs
away from the livestock fence is not working, so we can't let them out
to find drier ground in the back unless we're home to supervise. It's a
mess.
Saturday wasn't bad though, there was break between storms and we had
some sun. I got into the vegetable garden and cleaned up the last of the
tomato plants. It's one of my least favorite jobs, pulling up the cages
and disentangling ten feet of tomato vines out of them, but it's done.
When it dries some we can rototill and I'll plant greens and peas; I
think everything else I planned this year will have to wait until after
last frost to go out.  With the back trees trimmed the disreputable
state of the pond became more apparent so I tackled that; cut back and
pulled up a whole trash can full of cattails, fished out a lot of
leaves, and cleaned the filter. It still needs much work but it's a
start.
But then the winds came, so much for working outside. Yesterday was
miserable with wind and rain, and at the moment the wind is almost
25mph. Oh well...maybe the wind is evaporating all the water.

Cyndi