Re: Southeast Drought

We've had extremes of weather for 7 of the last 10 years (including the
drowning year of the hurricanes in 2005). 6 of those years were drought
years, with last year being the worst.
I worked with the University of  Georgia under an EPA grant for water
quality, writing much the same thing re
wise water use.

Do homeowners listen? Some do. Most don't. We have subdivisions here that
require regular irrigation of their *Bermudagrass Lawns*!, for Pete's sake.
This, despite the fact that Bermudagrass requires no supplemental irrigation
once established. Also despite photos every week in the paper showing the
reservoir. He##, some of the subdivisions were on the lake/reservoir and
could *see the water drop, and see their docks on dry land. The subdivisions
didn't rescind their rules until the state ordered NO WATERING, PERIOD.

Our Green Industry Association is arguing the same points as yours did.
Right now, Dr. Couch, who makes the final determination is more worried
about supplying drinking water, even though she knows that we've taken a
huge hit. The swimming pool folks are also reeling with this. No water use,
we lose the tree canopy and the rest of the green that prevents erosion and
downstream flooding and allows what rain we have to perc into the soil and
replenish our supplies. No water use, and swimming pools become breeding
places for mosquitoes, or hazards - and if we get some of our typical late
summer frog-stranglers, they'll pop right out of the ground due to water

I remember your drought. I was working customer service part time for Van
Bloem's that year, and we had to cancel order after order for the CO
nurseries.  I also remember that it was your state Green Industry that
coined the term Xeriscape in the early 80's. Gave that talk to a group of
Master Gardeners last week, in fact.

As for the water providers raising their rates, I fully anticipate that. I
lived in Northern NJ during the drought of the late 60's and early 70's. At
one point, we were limited to 50 gallons of water per day. Of course, the
water companies couldn't make any money on that...

----- Original Message ----- From: "Betsy Kelson" <bkelson@ix.netcom.com>