Re: OT- new toy

You probably don't want to hear this, and it may not be relevant, but my Brother laser printer lasted just past the warranty date. Normally, I think that extended warranties are useless, but you may have purchased a good deal.

To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Monday, January 05, 2009 6:25 PM
Subject: [CHAT] OT- new toy

Just bought myself a new toy. My large 15-yr.-old Canon copier decided not
to make any more copies.  It's been baulky for a while, so I wasn't too
What I found at Staples was a combination copier, fax, and scanner for
considerably less money than I had paid for the original copier. This one is a Brother, prints in color and will auto-feed up to 15 pages. Chet wanted to buy a big, heavy-duty Canon again, but I couldn't see the justification for
I do a lot of desk-top publishing, but not enough for an office-level machine.
He used to have a Brother printer some years ago, and doesn't remember
that it gave him any trouble. I bought a 3-year service contract that will
replace it if anything goes wrong.  Who knows, three years may be more
than I will need it anyway.
The best thing is that this machine is compact - much smaller than the
old copier, and additionally will replace my old fax machine and scanner -
both of which are rather large.  I don't know what I will do with all the
space on my desk.
Have any of you had experience with Brother machines?  I think Chet was
just shopping names - like insisting he had to have a Nikon camera when
he wasn't much of a photographer anyway.