Re: something is eating my veggies!

I have a friend in California who has to cover everything with a floating row cover in the winter or the white crowned sparrows eat it all. She says they nip them off.

For the larger leaves, while it could be a sparrow, I'd be inclined to think "rabbit". You could try sprinkling some blood meal around. They hate the stuff.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Theresa G." <macycat3@sbcglobal.net>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Tuesday, January 06, 2009 1:21 AM
Subject: [CHAT] something is eating my veggies!

Ok- so at first I thought it was slugs eating my new little brocolli plants. Put down slug bait. No change. Then my new little pea plants were getting the leaves eaten off too- maybe some insane caterpiller than can live in the cold? sprayed BT. No change. Then leaves off mature pea plants and lettuce and spinach. Now I think it must be a 4-legged animal. But what??? I've never caught/seen anything out there at all, except for little house finch and white crowned sparrows. But they don't eat plants, just bugs. And it doesn't look like bird damage anyway. Any idea or suggestions are greatly appreciated. At this rate, I may not get much to eat myself!!