RE: something is eating my veggies!

  • To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
  • Subject: RE: something is eating my veggies!
  • From: "Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CS/SCOSI" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 08:03:13 -0800

One year I had problems with quail eating my sprouting plants so I guess
I wouldn't rule out birds. Although missing leaves off mature plants
doesn't sound like birds. Rabbits would eat your peas and lettuce down
to nubs. Gophers would eat the roots and sometimes they drag the whole
plant down into the hole - you'd probably notice gopher holes. Ravens
pull up the sprouts completely.
Got any place to buy row cover? You might try covering the new plants
and see what happens.