From: TeichFauna@aol.com <TeichFauna@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [CHAT] something is eating my veggies!
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Thursday, January 8, 2009, 7:01 AM

I had birds all over my Pineapple guava last year as it was blooming, and
seemed to be eating the blossoms.  I was really upset, and figured that is
why

I never saw any fruit....however, a knowedgeable fruit person (I think  it was
Jim) told me that the birds pollinate the blooms.  Apparently they  are
attracted to a certain part of the bloom, which they eat, and at the same
time,
they pollinate them.   Don't ask me specifics...I'm lucky I  remembered
that
much.  Perhaps Jim can add something to  this.    Anyway, after being told
this,
I left them  alone.    Not saying that is the case with the apricot tree, but
just figured if it is so for one fruit, might be for another as  well.

Noreen
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast

In a message dated 1/6/2009 9:47:33 PM Central Standard Time,