From: Kitty <kmrsy@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [CHAT] More Food for Thought
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Monday, January 12, 2009, 4:48 PM

Re >I love potato bread, got a recipe you would like to share?

My grandmother came from Ireland and of course used her own recipe from
there.  Ma never had a lot of patience with older kids, so it was difficult
to get her to share the recipe, which of course was in her head.  She did
try to explain it once, but when she said to add flour and I asked how much,
the reply was "until it looks right."  I asked what looked right and
she
dismissed that and moved on.  Then you were supposed to add a bit of salt or
some such ingredient.  How much is a bit?  She gave up.

Years later I found a recipe for Irish soda bread.  Ma's wasn't a soda
bread; she used yeast.  But I tried it anyway and the consistency wasn't
far
off, though it didn't have the flavor.  So I played with the recipe, adding

potato water and raisins.  That meant more flour.  It took more time to
bake. It was a bit dry; needed more shortening to balance the other extra
ingredients.  Now the dough was too large, had to split it in half.  But I
eventually got it pretty darned close.  My family adores it.

Unfortunately, my recipe is now too much like Ma's.  You have to add
ingredients "until it looks right."  Still want the recipe?

Kitty
neIN, Zone 5