To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Tuesday, January 13, 2009 9:20 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] More Food for Thought

Kitty,

My grandmother was very patient, but she cooked with a little of this or
that (until it looked right), scooping flour with a metal scoop, sugar in an
old teacup, and using her fingers for a pinch or so of salt. One day my
sister and I followed her around with a measuring cup and spoons, catching
it just as it was about to be dumped into the bowl. We finally got some of
her recipes!

I mostly cook with the "until it looks/tastes" right method, but I'm so very
glad we have her "Grandma Cookies" recipe. Of course my kitchen isn't
usually cold enough for them to come out the same, but the taste is there.

On the bread crust front - My Dad always says that the extra browning
converts the starches to sugars. I can't taste it myself, so I give the
bread crusts to the dog or the chickens - unless it's home-made bread. Then
Nobody's getting it except the humans.