RE: Poultry in the Parlor

  • To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
  • Subject: RE: Poultry in the Parlor
  • From: "Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CS/SCOSI" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 07:23:33 -0800

You can mail-order chicks in an amazing variety of breeds and specify
pullets only so you don't have to sell any roosters. You pick them up at
the post office. I have never had any dead or injured chicks and we've
been doing that now and again for 25 years. The minimum quantity for
mail-order with Murray McMurray is 25 chicks; I don't know if others
have smaller limits. Maybe if you didn't want that many you could sell a
few to the feed store right when they come in, then you wouldn't get
attached to them.
Last time we bought our chicks in late summer so we didn't have to worry
so much about heat lamps, and they started laying as soon as spring
rolled around. And this batch has kept laying right through winter
unlike our previous ones, maybe because they're younger, but it's been
welcome.

Cyndi