Re: Poultry in the Parlor

Jesse,

In 15 years + of ordering off for chicks, I've only had one DOA. I've had much worse luck with bad mother hens. I can't tell you how many boxes of 25 chicks I've ordered, but it's a lot!

To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 9:52 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Poultry in the Parlor

Exactly - creepy people come to get my roosters and I just can't do that.
Feed store won't special order for me, they just get a certain kind, every
year, and when they're gone, they're gone.  I have Silver Laced Wyandottes
and I love them.  The only place I could find them anywhere NEAR my home,
was Lebanon, Missouri - which is a three hour drive from my place, and I
can't do it on a weekend cause they aren't open, and I have to take off
work. The thought of mailing them - and losing a baby in transit - makes me cringe. I'm such a wimp when it comes to animals. Can't stand to see them
get hurt or lose one.  BUT - that hatchery will sell a 15 minimum of
pullets, so I may try it this year.  We'll see.  Gonna wait until it warms
up a bit.  Raising chicks in my laundry room is a mess.