Re: Vegetable garden

You're in for a lot of fun. Guess you saw the article in this issue of "The American Gardener." It's got some pretty sensible advice if this is new territory. I envy your ability to grow peppers; as in Florida, I'd grow lots of different ones--they freeze well and dry well, so you can keep them all year. For green beans, I like the French filet bush type; they are very tasty and super productive. Last year I planted Burpee's seed; this year I'm switching to Renee's Garden seeds. The most versatile of the winter squashes seems to be the butternut, which makes better pumpkin pies than pumpkins do. The trouble is it, like most winter squashes, grows on a sprawling vine that can take up a lot of room. John Scheepers says it's butternut is more bush-like, so that's what I'll try this year. You may want to consider collards-- very easy to grow and if you harvest just the leaves and not the plant, they'll provide greens for at least a year. The standard root vegetables, carrots and beets, are super easy to grow and I've never had a failure with them. Last year we grew the rat-tail radish, the one you eat the seed pods, not the root. One plant will provide enough seed pods for a whole summer's worth of salads.

Raspberries and blackberries--you'll likely need a couple of years to get much of a crop. Remember when you plant them that they sucker and remember when you prune them that they fruit on year-old wood. But they're well worth the trouble.