In other weekend activity...

  • To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
  • Subject: In other weekend activity...
  • From: "Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CS/SCOSI" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 09:21:55 -0800

Fortunately the rest of my weekend was better than dealing with our poor
sheep. I finally got into the front yard and did more cleanup out there.
I had planned on getting the lawnmower out and running it over the giant
leaf mounds but the rain left things too wet for that. On the theory
that anything is better than nothing I started raking and putting leaves
in the dumpster. Got quite a bit more in there than I thought I would. I
also managed to prune a couple roses before the wind came up and made
everything too unpleasant.
In the dry garden, lots of grass coming up. I pulled some of it but I
was hesitant to disturb anything in the areas where I scattered
wildflower seed last fall. I have a big area that is solid with
California poppy seedlings and another place with about 25 penstemon
seedlings very close together. I'll try moving some of the penstemons in
about a month.
I did a hike with my friend on Sunday morning, about 7 miles.  She is an
avid photographer but forgot her camera this trip so naturally we saw a
bunch of deer (not at all common here) . It was pretty brisk out and
rained on us a little, and the trail had not been maintained in quite
some time so we were clambering over a few trees and leaping across
eroded bits, but it was all good. Saw the first California poppy bloom
too, funny since all the other poppies are months away from flowering.
The rest of the day was much too windy to do any yard work.  I sure wish
all that wind would blow the leaves out of our yard instead of against
the house. Doesn't seem fair that BOTH sides of the house get piles of
leaves.
I'm going to order my onion plants and seeds this week.

Cyndi