Re: Dogs (was Hello out there)

  • Subject: Re: Dogs (was Hello out there)
  • From: Jesse Bell <justjess01@gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 12:54:19 -0600

Well, our last big "guard dog" was let out by the peeper, and she got on the
highway and was killed. (that happened the same weekend that Pam lost
Sugar...very bad weekend).  That won't be happening again...we now have our
front gate locked as well.  The problem with our last dog was that she LIKED
to be outside our property.  She was an Anatolian Shepherd and they are
known for running the perimeter of their property...but our perimeter
includes a major highway.  Mastiffs are known for being home-bodies.  Both
of our big dogs are girls, and like to stick close to their people...and
like to put themselves between us and "visitors".  We have to put one in a
kennel on trash pick up day because the trash men are scared of her.  She
won't let them out of the trash truck to connect the dumpster to the truck.
 In the past - I think this peeping tom was able to "buy" our dogs with
treats...that way they never barked at him.  The Anatolian and our two big
girls cannot be "bought".  I have seen our older girl in action and she can
be very forceful when she doesn't want somebody here.  That old saying
"children and animals know..." well, when we have somebody out here and she
paces around them and has that "look" on her face, I know to be careful.  We
had two guys that were exterminators come out and my husband told them,
right up front, to not get close to me because our dog was very protective.
 The guys looked at each other like "yeh, right...we hear that all the
time..".  Well, he made the mistake of walking towards me as I was working
in my garden and this dog jumped over our low brick wall and starting
growling and barking at those guys.  I bet they had to change their shorts
when they went home.As for being a livestock guard dog.  We have a German
Shepherd for that.  He is out there 24 x 7.  'Bout the only thing he has
caught - has been a SKUNK and comes home smelling like it.  Gross.