Re: country of origin barcode identifiers

  • Subject: Re: country of origin barcode identifiers
  • From: "Christopher P. Lindsey" <lindsey@mallorn.com>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 21:04:27 -0500

> The first 3 digits of the barcode identify the country code
> wherein the product was made.

Hi Judy,

   This sounded really interesting, so I searched the Internet for more
   information about it.  Unfortuntely, it sounds like it's not quite
   true.  :(

      http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/barcodes.asp

   It's sort of true, but refers to where the barcode was put on, not
   where the product was manufactured.  It's also only applicable to
   EAN-13 barcodes which aren't used in the US.

   I wish it was true, though!  I've been paying much closer attention
   to food labels lately.

Chris