Re: everyone okay?
gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: everyone okay?
  • From: teichfauna@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 14:13:46 EST

It is said that the pipes don't break until the thawing starts, something
to do with the pressure.  You should notice a lack of pressure, or no water
at all if the pipes are frozen in part or whole.  If this is noticed, you
are to shut off water to the house at the meter.
This was interesting to me, since when our pipes broke 20 years ago,  we
were out of town, so were not able to notice if anything prior to the  break.

Survived the hard freezes the past few days.....didn't get down into the
teens like we thought, but first time I've ever seen my small ponds ice
over.  Larger ponds had no signs of ice at all.  Plants are frozen,  hopefully
not at the roots in the pond.  Covered plants look a bad, but  citrus seems
to have survived okay.  Not sure about the rest.  Orchids  appear fine,
bromeliads sustained damage to the foliage, but hopefully will pup  out.  Plants
that didn't get covered look really bad, but hopefully they  will come back
from the trunks or roots.  Had no frost on the ground that I  saw.  Don't
think it got quite as cold in my yard... my thermometer showed  a good 5
degrees higher than the reports for the area.  Hoping for the  best!!!

Sure hope that was the end of the freezes for the winter.  Winter is
usually when I get so much done, not so far.  Grateful that the temps  didn't get
too low.
Noreen
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast

In a message dated 1/8/2010 3:51:35 PM Central Standard Time,