RE: Bloomerang was back to gardening??
gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: RE: Bloomerang was back to gardening??
  • From: "Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CS/SCOSI" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 09:03:36 -0800

I was browsing around after looking up that lilac and I was surprised to
see the Colorado State Extension lists lilac as a xeric shrub. It is in
the same lists with apache plume (Fallugia paradoxa) and rabbitbrush
(Chrysothamnus nauseosus), two shrubs in my dry garden. I just can't
imagine them living with such little water. But Colorado xeric and
California xeric must be two different things; no doubt Apache plume and
rabbitbrush are capable of living in much wetter conditions than I've
got them in, conditions where lilacs can manage to hang on.

Cyndi