Re: It's a girl!
gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: It's a girl!
  • From: "Daryl" <dp2413@comcast.net>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2011 11:38:40 -0500

Our other cats quickly adapted to being indoors, though they like spending time on the screened porch.

I, too, worry about coyotes. Since our county passed a leash law, there are few dogs running around that would hurt her, but the coyote population has increased dramatically. If she would only stay in the yard, I wouldn't worry about it, since there's a 4' fence around it. A coyote could get over the fence, but is unlikely to want to do so with most yards here unfenced, and some nice woods and a stream just down the hill. She survived on her own for 18 months (we fed her, but she also foraged for mice and chipmunks) so she's got quite a bit of savvy and can run 30' up a tree in a heartbeat, but I still worry, especially at night.

Blackie knows of the other cats, and they know of her. On some nice days, I've had the other cats on the screened porch and invited her in to examine the house. And Scooter slipped out into the utility room the other day, scaring her half to death. I've been leaving the door to the kitchen open longer and longer as I go through it so that she can see the other cats. (I usually fill the boys' bowls before I go through the door to feed her).

Yesterday evening, Diesel was quite near the door when I opened it, and Blackie hissed at him. Diesel is not a fighter, and usually hisses at the other cats to ensure his privacy. Diesel just sat back and looked at her. I've held him up to look through the window at her, but this was the closest they've come without glass or a screen being between them.