Re: A taste of spring
gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: A taste of spring
  • From: Aplfgcnys@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2011 22:17:16 EST

Wishful thinking around here.  Today was milder than the past bitter
week - temperatures got up to the upper 30s and icicles are decorating
all the eaves.  But we have mountains of snow - about ten inches fell
on the eight from last week.

We had firewood delivered last Sunday - the first day that it was
possible for them to come.  Instead of having it stacked as we usually
do, we just had them dump it beside the drive, and went out and  put
black plastic sheets over it.  I filled my stash in the entry that day, but
by today it was about used up.  I went out and tried to dig through the
accumulated foot on top of the pile, and was able to winkle out enough
to get me through another few days.  Not fun.  I do enjoy a fire in the
evenings, and have a Heatolater fireplace which makes efficient use of
the fire - warms the whole area nicely.  But this gets to be such a hassle
that I may have to give up my amenity.  Chet has a head-cold and uses
that as an excuse not to do anything outside.  Oh yes, I know he has
had pneumonia twice in the past couple of years, so he has to be
careful.

Global warming has really done us in this year.  This has been the
coldest winter in many years and the most snow in the area on record.
And it's only the end of January. Enjoy your hints of spring - none of
them around here.
Auralie

In a message dated 1/29/2011 7:50:31 PM Eastern Standard Time,