Grafting tomatoes
  • Subject: Grafting tomatoes
  • From: "Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 412 CS/SCOSI" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2013 10:33:10 -0800

It looks like it's aimed at the heirloom stuff. Heirloom vegs are the hot
thing now, but of course many of them don't have the same disease resistance
that's been bred into the hybrids. So they graft the heirloom onto disease
resistant rootstock, as is done for a lot of fruit trees.
But WHEW, they want like $7  or more for a plant.  If you grow two plants, I
guess that's okay. I put more like 15 in the ground.
We don't have many plant disease problems here in the high desert so I kinda
shrugged at it. I did notice that they claim it confers some resistance to
blossom end rot, which is an issue I get a lot with the paste tomatoes. If I
can find one of them that will ship to CA I might give it a try just to see
if it actually helps. I am naturally cynical so my first thought is that
this is more marketing than results, but you never know.