Re: Happy new year!
gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: Happy new year!
  • From: Aplfgcnys@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2013 14:18:11 -0500 (EST)

So sorry about your bad cold, Cindy, but these things happen.  It's good to
have all the
new seed catalogs for distraction now, as I look out at the snow-covered
landscape, I try to imagine what next spring will be like.  Thanks to Sandy,
Chet's fall and concussion, and numerous other such events I was not able
to get my usual fall clean-up done, and things are still pretty much a mess.
There is still a large hemlock down in the back yard blocking one entry to
the fenced vegetable garden.  We told the tree man to come when he had
finished with others who were more urgent.  I hope he gets here before
spring.

We did have one unusual distraction over the holidays.  At noon on the
Thursday before Christmas had a telephone call from our middle grandson
saying he was in Dover, heading north, and could he stop by to see us in
about four hours - bringing his new wife and baby.  It was quite a scramble
for me to get food and bedding prepared before they got here, but it was a
real treat to meet his wife and our first great-grandchild.  I'll bet none
of you
can beat that.  They spent the night and left early the next morning.  I
figure
his wife is a pretty sensible girl, who said it's really too long a drive
from
Norfolk, Va., (where he is stationed,) to upstate New York to see your
parents.
Let's see if we can get a free night's lodging along the way. Anyway, we
were
glad to see them.  Hadn't seen that grandson in five or six years.

It will be interesting to see how well plants survive this strange winter.
At least
we have had snow cover for the past two weeks, even though the temperatures
have generally been in the low 30s - unusually mild.  Last winter was mild,
and
lots of things survived.  The winter before was unusually cold, but we did
have
snow cover all winter, so again many things survived.  I've had good luck
the
past few years with several things that used not to be reliably
winter-hardy -
notably Artemisia 'Powis Castle.'  I like to grow a lot of that because the
deer
aren't especially fond of it, and I can tuck a few deer favorites in among
a bed
of it.  Growing a deer-resistant garden leads to some unusual looks.

Here's hoping every one of you have a new year of great gardens.

Auralie

In a message dated 1/8/2013 9:55:13 AM Eastern Standard Time,