Cold
gardenchat@hort.net

We're finally coming out of our cold snap. It's been in the teens at
night and the 40s-50s during the day for a week and a half. I had a
major brain malfunction last Sunday, I forgot to turn the little
electric heater in the greenhouse back on after I watered. This morning
before we left for work it suddenly hit me and I dashed out there - I
couldn't see too much because it wasn't sunup yet but it looks like I
lost the big croton and two of the coleus I've been overwintering for a
couple years, and at least the top part of the canna got frosted.  Good
thing I don't have anything in there I can't afford to lose.
No rain to speak of yet either. It's so dry I get shocked with static
several times a day. Yesterday I dumped my leftover coffee on the dirt
and it just beaded up for a while instead of sinking in.  My hopes for a
good wildflower season are fading; but there's still time for things to
turn around.

Cyndi