Re: Hosta seedlings

So, the bottom line is wait 2 - 3 years post germination? I can do that!

On Friday, July 4, 2003, at 01:26 PM, Kitty wrote:

As Gene said, hosta seedlings are usually green, but you also asked how long
it would take to see leaf patterning. I assume you're interested in texture
as well as color and variegation. I have started hostas from collected seed
several times. The batch of about 100 that I set out in May have a variety
of leaf shapes from round to eliptical. All are roughly the same shade of
green. so I think leaf shape is an early trait. But color I believe comes
in the next year or so; texture, too. I have some hostas that I started
from seed that developed the matte blue coloring and even some corrugation
over time. My first one has a dark forest green coloring on smooth leaves.
Each seedling can offer you some surprises. If it it's variegation you're
hoping for, it's my understanding that it's not likely to hapen, though I
know one MG here who says that the seed she collects from one of her hostas
regularly yields 60% variegated seedlings.