Re: interesting visitor

Lovely story, Auralie...I consider you privileged to have had the
encounter:-)

My understanding of skunks is that they are very mild-mannered
animals; not aggressive at all if not threatened.  Also, they have
rather poor eyesight, so if you were upwind of it, it likely didn't
realize you were there until it got close enough to see you.

The only one I've ever seen (alive) up close was a baby someone had
as a pet at the vet's office.  Thought it cute as could be and was
surprised at how coarse it's fur was (got to pet it).

Would not be surprised if it was digging in your pots.  I can always
tell when they've been around because they do go digging for
earthworms and other munchies in the borders - bigger excavations
than the squirrels make.  Also not surprised it savored the cat
food:-)

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :
http://www.suite101.com/topics.cfm/635
----------
> From: Aplfgcnys@aol.com
>
> About an hour ago I put the finishing touches on a humongous
indexing job
> that has been absorbing all my time for the past two weeks, and
because my back,
> legs, eyes, etc. were all aching, I walked down to the vegetable
garden to
> relax.  While I was pondering the damage that two weeks of neglect
can do, and
> wondering why I have had such very poor germination of seeds this
year, I became
> aware that a black and white animal was approaching across the
lawn.  I have
> two "tuxedo" cats, but I knew they were both inside.  There is
another
> black-and-white in the neighborhood who sometimes comes to commune
with my obese
> white female (he doesn't seem to know that she's spayed), so I
assumed it was him
> - not really paying much attention.  When I started to leave the
garden, which
> is fenced to foil the deer and other critters, I realized that the
black and
> white animal on the lawn, by now about ten feet away, was another
species
> altogether.  About the time I focused on this matter, he (or she -
I didn't really