Re: interesting visitor

There's no question about your feelings, but I'd like to ask the others
about not skunks, but raccoons.  I frequently put out a bowl of cat food for
a stray cat when he comes by, but he never eats it all.  So, when he's done
it's still there in the FL room, which I can see from my tv chair, or
sometimes it's on the carpet just inside the sliding door which I keep open
til I go to bed.  Occasionally a raccoon will come and polish it off, but I
yell at them when they try to come inthe house and they leave, although not
happily.  If they come back several times, within minutes, I shut the door.
I have also put a bowl on the front porch a few times when the cat was out

Last night, a small raccoon came by the FL room but there was no bowl and I
told him he couldn't come in.  A bit later I noticed my cat watching
intently out the front window.  Wehn I went to the front door, there were
mom and 3 little babies, they left the porch with dashed hopes of finding a
meal.  I watched as they lumbered off across the street.

I no longer feed birds except in the one expensive bird feeder that closes
when weight hits the perch.  The raccoons destroyed all other feeders.  The
plants beneath the remaining feeder have been smashed.  I don't like to
encourage racoons in my yard because of the damage they do.  However, I
don't begrudge any animal a meal and I feel badly for their plight.
Watching that mama and babies leave with no luck last night was a sad sight.
I'm thinking about getting a bag of cheap stuff for them, but fear I'll
regret the results.

So what do you all think?  Should I feed the raccoon family?