Re: Sorry gone so long

Oh, Melody, my deepest sympathy.  Sounds like your FIL was quite a
guy and will be sorely missed.  But, it's so great that you have the
memories of his sense of humor, which seems was very well developed!

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :
http://www.suite101.com/topics.cfm/635

----------
> From: Melody <mhobertm@excite.com>
> To: gardenchat@hort.net
> Subject: [CHAT] Sorry gone so long
> Date: Monday, July 14, 2003 1:04 AM
>
> Dear all: Have been away from the list for many days now...sorry to
be
> so late in catching up...my father in law died early last week
> unexpectedly. He was one of those people who brought immeasurable
joy to
> everyone who knew him and his passing has left a large hole in our
> family's life, as well as our community. Over 350 people attended
his
> visitation and our church was packed to standing room only for the
> funeral. We even ran out of food at the reception. It was an
incredible
> experience to see everyone laughing and sharing their stories about
> him...it was a true celebration of his life and was exactly the way
he
> would have wanted it. I thought I would share a story with you to
honor
> him:
>

> When he was nine years old, Jerry wandered into a neighbors
farmyard and
> was playing with dynamite caps. Unfortunately, the cap exploded in
his
> hand and three of his fingers were blown off. Forever afterward, he
was
> called "Stub" (or "Stud" to hear him tell it!) Anyway, a few years
ago,
> my father in law contracted the deadly necrotizing fascitis (flesh
> eating bacteria). The doctors called us all to the hospital because
they
> thought the likelihood that he would not live through the surgery
was
> very high. We were all standing around, listening to the surgeon
talk
> about how he would probably have to amputate Jerry's arm (the one
with
> the missing fingers) at the shoulder. Sick as he was, my father in
law
> looked at the surgeon and said, "Then I guess they'll just have to
call
> me Stubbier, won't they?" We all cracked up laughing, much to the
> extreme puzzlement of the doctors and nurses, but that was just
Jerry