Re: birdbath

I believe the "brown yuck" is one of the brown algae. I have a similar problem, even though I scrub it regularly. It stains, too, so there is always some brown left. Not dangerous to birds, though, just annoying to neatniks like me. As to your huge one - I put a proportionally large, flat stone in the middle of mine, making an island, that way the small birds have a perch near the water.
Cathy