Re: list

Oh, how I wish we could leave!  Usually, by the time the folks at NHC
finally decide where the storm is going, it's way too late for us to get
out.  They announced at 4 p.m. Monday that it was heading our way instead of
for Mexico, and by midnight it had hit.  I had a very busy 8 hours doubling
lines, taking down canvas, moving plants, etc., plus laying in extra ice.

We always have the cat carriers, insurance papers, and important personal
items ready to head out in the 4Runner if absolutely necessary, but the
choice of staying on board,  although VERY exciting and VERY scary, or
getting in the unbelievable traffic jam that all the evacuation routes
become and riding out the storm on the highway is an easy one -- we stay
aboard.  The 22,000 pound boat is a much better bet than the half-ton truck.

We are about a mile from the Kemah Boardwalk, in a very protected marina, so
although we get water over the dock, we float up and just have to wait until
we can wade out.  Even so, we really rock and roll, and the sound of the
wind is beyond description, even in the minor storms we've ridden out.  If a
three or above ever came our way, we'd leave the boat, but probably stay
fairly close.  Can't do the shelter thing because of the cats, so we'd go to
a friend's house or hotel.  A boat is just a boat, but Roxanne and Sharky
are family!

Thanks for thinking about us -- it's nice to know you folks are out there.

Scottie
aboard Betelgeuse
Kemah, TX