mid-july

The spring rush to get things done has given way to a plodding pace of
deadhaeading and problem correcting. Today was a pretty good day except for
the mosquitoes.  Topped out at only 80 degrees at which time I went to the
CES office and watched 2 episodes of David Attenborough's Secret Life of
Plants.  MGs watched and then discussed while eating popcorn for 2 hours.

At home I deadheaded daylilies and lilies and generally had a little time to
observe.  Collected seed from foxglove.  The Summer Hyacinths (Galtonia
candicans) are up about 30 inches and have fatter buds than I remember.
Lilium henryi at about 9 ft has just begun to bloom.  Phlox 'David' is just
shy of 5 feet, while Actaea (Cimicifuga) racemosa has several fairywands
much taller than I am. A. 'Hillside Black Beauty' actually has a couple of
wands starting, though I only bought the plant last year -that's fast.
Phlox 'Starfire' and 'Laura' are blooming for the first time.  Dug some
daffodils to store under the house for the October bulb sale.

Lilium formosana has an odd round brown bug on it which runs away carrying a
bit of white cotton.  Doesn't look like anything good.  Ceres, can you help?

Mosquitoes. The worst they've ever been!  Morning, afternoon, and evening
they are everywhere.  Last month in desperation I ordered a full-hooded long
sleeved net shirt that's supposed to keep them off (I hate sprays)  After I
received it I thought "Oh sure, this is really going to help.  If they can
bite through my pants, how's this net supposed to keep them off?"  Another
silly waste of money.  But in desperation I put the thing on and braved the
backyard where clouds of mosquitoes awaited my tender flesh.  Whereas it is
not totally mosquito-proof, and you still have to keep moving, it did help.
I was able to get some work done.

Obviously you all are busy with summer activities, vacations, etc.  Happy
Summer!

Kitty