Re: Flower Show

In a message dated 07/21/2003 9:05:38 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
chris@widom-assoc.com writes:

> It's a small world!  The design judges gave me some good ideas that I'm
> sharing with my local garden club about a "show in a box" (I think).  Do
> you know anything about this?

Chris, I do know about '"show in a box" - was present when it was first
introduced.  In my mind it was intended to boost someone's visibility on the
National Garden Club level.  It's not a really bad idea, just not very good either.
The concept behind it is to encourage small clubs that have not previously
had flower shows.  A large club or a Judges Council would "mentor" the club by
giving it the box full of the necessary items for putting on a show, such as
bottles for horticulture, entry cards, ribbon dividers, etc., and then help them
step by step through the process.  The "show in a box" was just a catchy
title.  It has been taken up and presented as an easy way to put on a show by
people who didn't quite understand it. Of course, there still has to be a schedule
for the show, and all the other details that go with it, which can't possibly
be put into a box.  I see that your District has a chairmanship for that, and
that Connie Schwaninger is the Chairman.  I'd best not comment.  Do you know
Joan Corbisiero?  She is the best advisor I know on flower show matters, or
almost anything else for that matter.
 I won't get started on what is going on at the National level these days -
it's almost enough to make me want to retire.  Auralie