From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of Lynda Young
Sent: Thursday, July 24, 2003 10:25 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: [CHAT] Just checking in

Hey guys, now that we've got power back at the office thought I'd check
in and let you know I'm OK.  Horrible storm ripped through - 60% of
Memphis is still without power and we're hearing it could be weeks
before everyone is up.
The 80-100 mph winds just tore this city up.  For those of you not
familiar with Memphis - it is a city set among huge old trees.  Well, we
lost a large number of those trees Tuesday and when they went down they
took out power lines, houses and cars - the damage is horrible.   The
largest power outage in the city's history.  We sustained more damage
than in the ice storm of '94.  Amazing what 15 minutes of gale force
winds can do. Had it hit at 7:30 instead of 6:30AM before most people
are on road, injuries and lose of life would have been so much greater.

Fortunately, we live just far enough north of the city that we were on
the edge of the storm and did not sustain any real damage at home.
So, glad to be back.