Re: how to get rid of a tree?

Donna,
You might be asking for trouble trying to rid yourself of the Tree of
Heaven!
 (Ailanthus altissima:  TREE OF HEAVEN;FALSE VARNISH TREE;JAPAN VARNISH
TREE;TREE OF THE GODS)

This, to me, would definitely be something to get rid of since height can be
40-80 feet and spread 30-60 ft.  MOBOT says, "This is a suckering plant that
can form large colonies or thickets that tend to choke out native plants.
Spreads invasively by aggressive root suckering and self-seeding....In many
areas it has become a noxious weed. It is extremely fast-growing and it will
grow almost anywhere. It can literally grow up from a crack in the sidewalk,
and is strong enough to push up through the blacktop surface of a parking
lot....and [YIKES!!!] Wood is weak and tall trees in exposed areas may
easily top out in strong winds....all parts of the tree have an unpleasant
odor...This is the tree featured in A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, by Betty
Smith...This is not a good landscape tree, however if it is to be grown,
female trees are generally preferable to male trees."

He said plenty, but not how to get rid of it.  I think you're on the right
track, but roundup is not meant for trees or shrubs.  You need something
more like Ortho Brush-B-Gone.  Still, a suckering plant like this will try
to pop up somewhere else when unsuccessful in the original spot.  You may
have to simply consider that, for the next several years, you'll just have
to treat hose suckers like opportunistic weeds and keep pulling them.
Eventually you'll sap all its energy or it will head in your neighbor's
direction and pop up over there. I have a similar situationb with a Campsis
I decided was too rambunctious.  It keeps coming up and I keep pulling it.
Yesterday I noticed it came up 15 feet away in the lawn.

You'll just have to keep after it.

Kitty