Re: Prayers needed

Mardi, what happened to your friend is horrible...I do so hope she
recovers fully and quickly.  And, I hope they catch the bastard(s)
and throw the book at him/them.

Jim, it's not just you "maturing"....I think this type of mindless
violence IS more prevalent than it was 30 years ago AND the media
seem to concentrate on it as about the only news so we hear about it
more than we used to back in the 50s and 60s.

But so much that is going on in our society now seems to promote this
kind of behavior...TV, movies...you can't show people violence 24x7
and not have it effect how they behave.  In our screwy society, sex
is supposedly verboten but bloody violence is not...topsy turvy value
system at work in this country.

That said, violence, both mindless and purposeful, has taken place
since time began.  I've been reading some works on English history
from about 400 through 1800.  Up until about the mid 1600s, life for
the ordinary person was incredibly violent - they were continually
being raped, killed and maimed by whatever warring party happened
across them - with virtually no recourse since there were no
universal courts or laws; the average person was totally at the mercy
of whoever owned the land they lived on.  If you go back further into
history, the violence that was the norm in ancient Greece and Rome is
amazing.  Violence seems to be a part of the human animal - not a
good part, but it's there right under the surface.  Civilization
appears to be a very thin veneer that is cracking in good many
places.

Also think that there are simply too many people now, crowded into
too small areas.  Overcrowding has negative impact on many
species...humans included.  Plus the extreme mobility of society
means that people are strangers to each other so there's no community
watching who knows the person, their parents and grandparents and all
their relatives; no community censure for bad behavior as there was
when people were more stationary.  And, our court system drags on and
on, so anybody who perpetrates knows that justice will not be swift
and sure if they are caught.  If they think (which is doubtful) they
probably know they'll be able to cop a plea and likely get off pretty
Scott free in the end; no incentive to behave anymore.  Not only
that, with the dissolution of the mental hospitals, there are
thousands of people on the street who are several bricks shy of a
load; who should not be out and about for the safety of the rest of
the population.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade