Re: tomato woes

Theresa - you haven't done your homework!

here's a picture in  which they've use landscape timbers:
http://www.floridagardener.com/critters/bedbed.htm

How to Solarize Soil
The area to be solarized should be level and free of debris and large clods
of soil. The soil should be watered if dry, but not saturated. The soil
should have the crumbly damp look that the soil would have prior to regular
planting. Place clear plastic over the soil surface and bury the edges in a
foot deep trench. The plastic can be clear construction grade plastic and
vary in thickness from 1 to 6 mils. The thinner plastic (1-2 mils) will
allow better soil heating since it will reflect less solar energy. The
plastic should be left in place for 2-6 weeks. Solarization is most
effective when done in June, July, or the first couple weeks of August. This
will allow you to begin your vegetable garden at the end of August or first
weeks of September.

According to MS State U:
Selection of a plastic or polyethylene cover is probably the most important
step in the process. The cover must be clear and no more than 2 millimeters
thick. It should be strong and durable enough to allow for stretching.
Placement of the cover is also important. It should be stretched tight and
in direct contact with the soil surface. Care must be taken to bury the
edges of the tarp in the soil to a depth of at least six inches so as not to
allow the wind to lift the tarp during the solarization period. Remember,
the tarp has to remain in-place for a four to six week period.

Here's more detail:
http://www.tucsongardener.com/Year99/Summer99/solarizi.htm

Kitty